I Went to Washington DC! {part 2}

If you're just joining me scroll down or click over and read part one of my adventures covering Tuesday and Wednesday.  Thursday morning we had some meetings and then we walked a few blocks to the National Geographic Museum.  This was the only paid attraction we visited the whole time we were in DC!  It was pretty cool though.  We learned all about Spinosaurus (they 3-D printed the skeletal replica on display...how cool is that?!?!) and saw a really cool exhibit about Nat Geo's project, 'Photo Camp' which I now want to attend!


Walking back to the hotel we wandered around the DuPont neighborhood a bit and just looked at the buildings.  My neck hurt by the end of this day from all the looking up we did!  My legs were exhausted too by the end of it...we put on some miles!




 

We accidentally stumbled upon the Patterson House which among other things served as a temporary residence for President and First Lady Coolidge while the White House was under renovation. 



After lunch and another gathering we hustled back down toward the mall to visit the National Holocaust Museum.  I took one solitary picture while I was there...


It just didn't feel right to take pictures.  We didn't get to visit the main museum; a fixed number of passes are distributed each day.  They did have a couple of side displays that we visited that were very moving.  It's impossible to stand in front of an actual yellow star bearing the word 'Jude' and not be moved, I think.

After the Holocaust Museum we really hit the pavement.  We visited the Jefferson Memorial...



The FDR Memorial...


The MLK Memorial...


The Korean War Memorial...


The Vietnam War Memorial...


and the Albert Einstein Memorial...


The we hopped back on the metro and grabbed dinner at a totally average Chinese place close to our hotel.  We ended the night with hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  I had never bothered to try them before since I don't like doughnuts (I know, I'm weird!) but I will say that a hot Krispy Kreme is pretty darn tasty!  We were up the next morning at 3:30am to catch our 6 am flight to Chicago.  I slept most of the way...the sunrise over Chicago was beautiful though!


The flight from Chicago to Anchorage was long...I slept, watched a movie, read, entertained the two year old sitting next to me, wrote letters, walked the aisles, etc.  That's my longest flight so far and it was challenging for me...it physically hurts me to sit that long! We arrived home in Anchorage to sunny skies as well.  Stacy came down with a tummy bug that day, so I came home to a pretty sad little girl.  She's feeling much better now, which is good...I am off to Juneau tomorrow night!  So much traveling of late!

Comments