History

Look what I got in the mail today!



One night last week I was looking for something else on EBay and came across this.  I couldn't help myself!  The postmistress and I dated the picture to sometime pre-1950 as there is no Buckner Building, Whittier Manor, or Hodge Building (now BTI).  Construction on the Buckner Building began in 1948.  Construction on the Hodge Building began in 1953 and the Whittier Manor was privately built around that same time.  Pretty neat, huh?

So far as I can tell, the postcard reads:

Feb. 11, 1959

Dear Mr. Rantanen

Many thanks for the letter and cards just recieved.  Was very much surprised to see how many castles and costumes (?) were entriely new to me, especially of british (sic) castles.  From your list I will certainly be able to find a number.  Will write later.

A.S.
(A. Scheuner)

A little Googling turned up that Mr. Scheuner lived in California around this time period.  He was a member of Company F, 7th Infantry (p.163) during WWI, and died in California in 1983.  I didn't have as much luck with Mr. Rantanen.  I will have to keep on looking!  This kind of thing is so fun...makes me want to join Ancestry.com!

Comments