Mother's Day


Whew! What a weekend we had here...a stomach bug made the rounds of the four of us Friday through Sunday, so we spent our weekend camped out on the couch watching various Disney cartoons and movies and reading a stack of books.

I admit, I felt a bit robbed on Sunday morning when I could barely drag myself out of bed after being sick all Saturday afternoon and evening, then sleeping (to use the term loosely) with a still sick 4-year old who somehow managed to hog a king-sized bed with all 41 or so inches of herself. Scott had spent most of the night sleeping on the couch to accommodate Miss Sideways Sleeper, so he wasn't bounding out of bed to bring me pancakes and coffee in bed. I logged onto Facebook and read all about everyone's breakfasts in bed, flowers and other surprises and was feeling pretty low. The day passed without much mention of Mother's Day at all...Kelsey had made me a card and a gift which she gave me first thing and my mama wished me a happy one too. At the end of the day Kelsey mentioned that maybe we should try to do Mother's Day again a different day when we were all feeling better.

The whole thing made me think a little bit. That's what motherhood is. It's ups and downs, good times and bad. It's having your heart feel so completely full when your child brings you flowers and having your heart break when she cries in disappointment. It's feeling so proud of your child you could burst, and 5 minutes later being so embarrassed by them you want to be swallowed up by the floor.

So if I could go back in time and change this weekend, would I? Nope, I don't think so! Because in-between cleaning up vomit and running for the bathroom myself, there were lots of cuddles and snuggles. Because all of a sudden, those daily tasks that occupy so much of the day didn't seem so urgent. It was OK to not worry about what was for dinner and just sit there and enjoy each other's company. Suddenly *right now* became the most important thing. It was a good reminder of what's important (my husband and kids!) and what's not (breakfast in bed). I choose to be grateful for a slow weekend, just hanging out with my favorite people.

So Happy Mother's Day to all of the mamas out there! Hope you had a fabulous (and vomit-free!) day!

Comments

Post a Comment