This Week's Recipe--Spaghetti Squash

This is so simple that it's not really even a recipe!

image from Kraftfoods.com

It was really feeling like fall around here, so instead of making a pumpkin pie (so far I've resisted that urge!) I went for another type of squash. I really, really want some acorn squash but Wal-Mart's produce selection isn't that diverse. Hopefully I can find one at Carrs or Fred Meyer soon!

The Recipe
There's a printable version available from Kraft here. It's also in their latest issue of Food & Family.

Ingredients1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
1/2 c. grated mozzarella
2T grated Parmesan
2 diced plum tomatoes (I used one can diced tomatoes, drained)
1/4 c fresh sliced parsley (I used a little bit of dried oregano and basil, about 1/4t each)

Method

Prick the squash with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn squash and microwave 5 minutes more. Let squash rest for 5 minutes, then cut open and remove seeds. Scrape squash with a fork to create strands. I chose to removed my squash strands to a bowl since I knew I didn't want to eat half a squash!

Stir in mozzarella, tomatoes, and seasonings. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan.
The Verdict
I knew better than to feed this to my family. Come on...they're great eaters, but still! :-) Actually both of my kids asked for a bite and I gladly shared. They both replied with something like, "I like it Mom, but I don't want any more.". We've been working on being polite when you don't like food, so I'm not sure if it was honesty or politeness, but either way I was happy with their response.

This one really hit the spot! I loved it and I got to eat squash...squash and fall, they just go together!

Comments