This Week's Recipe--Strawberry Ice Cream

image from goodhousekeeping.com

Funny how things work! The other day a friend of mine knocked on the door and offered me one of these. I had made yogurt before when the kids were really little, but when I went back to work I started buying again and hadn't done it again since we moved up here. I used to use the heating pad and stock pot method that I learned about here. It always turned out OK, but not great. So back to the yogurt maker. I tried it out and it worked really well! The best yogurt I've ever made, by far!

But then I wanted ice cream. I remembered I had torn out a recipe from Good Housekeeping for Strawberry Ice Cream. The recipe used Greek yogurt, something I've never bought before but I have read that you can make it yourself. So off I went!

The greek yogurt turned out to be amazingly delicious! Sprinkled with a tiny bit of sugar it seemed more like a dessert than plain old yogurt...mmmm!

The Recipe
To make greek yogurt just take plain yogurt (store bought or homemade) and strain it. Some people use a strainer lined with a coffee filter. I have used a clean dishtowel and a jelly bag hung from my cabinet. You need about 2 cups of yogurt to make 1 cup of Greek yogurt.

Strawberry Ice Cream
1lb frozen strawberries
1 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

In a food processor or blender, pulse strawberries until finely chopped. Transfer chopped berries to large metal bowl.

In food processor or blender puree yogurt, sugar, vanilla, and remaining strawberries until smooth. Transfer to a metal bowl with strawberries; stir until well combined. Cover and freeze about 1 hour, until firm but not hard.

The Verdict
Before I get to the verdict, let me point out the obvious flaw in this recipe. You *have* to lick the spatula that you use to remove this sweet mess from the blender. And then you have to wait an entire hour (or more!) to eat more!?!?! Good luck! I've made this 3 times and finally the 3rd time I was able to let it actually freeze!

It's delicious! It doesn't freeze quite a creamily as Good Housekeeping would lead you to believe, but it tastes so wonderfully yummy that it didn't really matter to me. Or Scott! Also, if you transfer the mixture to a metal 9x13 pan it spreads out thinner and freezes quicker.

Mmmmm...now I want more, but we're out of strawberries! Peaches, maybe??

Comments