This Week's Recipe--Slow Cooked Short Ribs

image from Taste of Home

Recently I went through my freezer and pulled out some stuff that *really* needed to be used up. I had a few misc. cuts of beef from our 1/2 beef in '07 that needed to be eaten. Of course I had never cooked it because I didn't know what to do with it. Enter my friend, Google!

The Recipe
I started with this recipe from the Taste of Home website. Of course, I didn't have some of the stuff, so after reading the reviews I modified it a little. Here's what I did:

4-4 1/2 pounds short ribs
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 packed brown sugar
1/2 c. bottled bbq sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
2T prepared mustard
3 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 t chili powder
1 T dried onion

Whisk the above ingredients together in the crock pot. Add beef and cook on high for 4 hours.

The Results
Pretty good! I didn't have 4 lbs of ribs, probably closer to 2 lbs. It wasn't really enough for all 4 of us, but I wasn't eating at home so it didn't matter...I just snitched a bite to taste it! Since I only cooked about half the ribs I had waaaay too much liquid in there...my ribs were more boiled than braised. But they were good and the kids ate it, so that's what really counts right?!?!

Overall, if I found myself with short ribs again for some reason I'd make it again. However, since I threw away at least as much fat and bones as there was meats it reminded me why ribs aren't on my regular cooking rotation!

Comments