This Week's Recipe--Razor Clam Linguine

image from Edible Seattle

If you've been following our story, you know that our freezer got stuffed with clams last weekend. My kiddos love to eat the fruits of their labor, so we had clams for dinner on Tuesday. Kelsey requested clams and noodles. Probably because last time we went clamming we had tried out Pioneer Woman's linguine with clam sauce. It only turned out so-so (although I had to make some substitutions, so that's probably why!) so I wanted to try something different this time. After some Googling, here's what I came up with courtesy of Edible Seattle.

The Recipe
1/4 c unsalted butter I used salted
1/4 c olive oil
1 c finely chopped onions I used 2t dried
2 cloves garlic, minced I used s1t diced from the jar
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 c dry white wine I used 1c. chicken broth
3/4 pound linguine I used 3/4 pound angel hair pasta
1 1/2 c razor clam meat, chopped into half-inch pieces
1 1/2 t dried oregano, or 1 T chopped fresh oregano I 1 1/2 t italian seasoning
1 c finely chopped fresh parsley (loosely packed, chopped before measuring)I omitted
red chili pepper flakes, to taste (up to 1 T) I omitted
1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish I forgot...but it would have been good!

Heat water in large stockpot to a boil for the pasta.

Melt butter and oil together in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until almost tender, about five minutes. Adjust heat to medium-low, add wine, and simmer for about 10 minutes, reducing liquid by approximately two-thirds. When you add the wine, add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook according to package instructions.

Add clams, oregano, parsley, and red pepper to the reduced sauce; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to heat clams through. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss sauce with cooked linguine and Parmesan in large bowl. Serve immediately, topped with additional cheese, if desired.

Andrea's Kitchen
Well, from looking above, you can see that I followed the recipe *exactly*! I didn't even realize how many things I had changed until I started to type this up! Anyway...I did follow the cooking directions at least!

The Verdict
MMMMM! Even though my version may not look much like the original, everyone at our house was happy with it. I will try to remember the parmesan next time as I think that would really add to it. It's a do-over for us which is good since we've got all those clams from last weekend in the freezer and we're going clamming with my sister again tomorrow!

Comments