Dads and Daughters

This has been rolling around in my head all week!

Last Sunday I walked the Lacamas Lake 1/2 Marathon. Since the temperature that day was well into the upper 90's I was glad that the walk began at 7. Of course, that meant leaving my house at 5:30 allow for a trip to Starbucks on the way! The girls are usually up between 5:30 and 6, so I left at 5:15 to avoid being 'caught' leaving. Of course I had the usual mommy guilt about not being there in the morning. I envisioned upset girls and Scott at his wits end. Silly me!

When I got home that night and caught up the the girls, I realized that often my fear of leaving them and my guilt about doing so prevents them from really having that fun time with Daddy. No, they didn't obsess for hours about my not being there first thing! Instead they conned Scott into making them fresh pancakes and letting them eat said pancakes in the kitchen at their picnic table in their pajamas! Nobody cried for hours, in fact all week I've heard little tidbits about how "when you were at work Daddy..." (note: to simplify explanations, we often call wherever someone went 'work'--fewer questions from Kelsey, ourprofessional interrogator!).

So here's my vow--next time I'm invited/asked/required to do something that involves leaving the kids at a time that's out of my comfort zone, I'll remember what a special opportunity it provides the rest of my family!

Comments