Juneau


I just looked at the calendar and realized that of the last 15 days I have been away from home for 9.  No wonder I was glad to get home last night!  I am slated to be at home now until May...though we are headed up to the cabin this weekend we're all going together!

Before leaving Juneau yesterday I go to do a few things I hadn't done before.  I started the day with all of the school board members having coffee and hot cider at the Governor's Mansion.  Here's Governor Walker speaking to us a bit at the end of our reception.  That's Lieutenant Governor Mallot to his right and the Commissioner of Education Mike Hanley to his left. 


The Lieutenant Governor sat next to me and we chatted through most of the morning.  I'm a total dork, I know!  It was fun to chat with him about education, though.  He has a real heart for Alaskans, even in tough times.


They served us scones, fruit and your choice of coffee or hot cider topped with whipped cream and drizzled with carmel sauce.  I chose the cider and it was amazing!  Here are a few random pictures inside the mansion...



read the sign...it's hilarious!
Later in the day a Juneau board member offered to take me out to Mendenhall Glacier.  I accepted the kind offer and was glad.  It was beautiful!  I can't imagine how magnificent it must look in the sunshine!


And a few random shots from around the capital...




Monday was Seward's Day and there was a group of folks passing out these fun Xtra Tuf marshmallows to all of the offices.  They are fondant covered hand crafted marshmallows.  I have no idea how they tasted, but I thought they were pretty cute!


The purpose of my visit was to advocate for funding for education.  The economy in Alaska is not very pretty right now and we're facing some major cuts in all areas.  The hardest part it knowing that this is likely only the first round of cuts.  It's hard to be hopeful in the face of such a bleak picture, but as we all know it politics, it's not over until the final gavel bangs.  Fingers crossed!

PS--have I mentioned how glad I am to be home?? :-)


Comments