Weekend

It's funny how some weekends feel like another world...so far removed from everyday life.  Other weekends...notsomuch.  This weekend fell somewhere in between.  Friday night we had a community barbeque across the street with music and volleyball.  In February!  It was such fun!  These are the moments that make me fall in love with this place all over again.  Where else do you get 99% kid participation in a last-minute game?  Folks brought whatever they had: chips, hot dogs, potato salad, etc. and a party was born!  From preschool to adults, we were all outside smiling and laughing.  No better way to start a weekend!



Saturday Scott and I split the kiddos and did the day.  Stacy and I spent the day in Anchorage attending the UAA Brain Bee.  One of our beloved babysitters was participating and I really wanted to be there to support her.  As she said this morning at school breakfast, "I didn't win, but I had fun!".  That's a successful Saturday!  The Brain Bee was held at the Anchorage Museum, so as long as we were there Stacy and I took some time to explore and play.



We also got a free showing of Back to the Moon in the planetarium.  Doubly cool because I am listening to The Astronaut's Wives Club right now.  Great book!  Sparked some great conversation on the way home, too.  Space exploration doesn't seem to have the allure that it did when I was a kid.  Sheesh.  Did I just say that?  I am getting old!!

Anyway...it was a good day and I'm a big believer in some 1:1 time for kids.  It's great for my two!  Kelsey and Scott did various things around home and Whittier.  They watched Harry Potter for the first time and Kelsey is OBSESSED!  She's reading the book now in every free moment.  Imagination captured.  I love it!!

Sunday was Kelsey's birthday--a post of its own soon!  Hope you had a good weekend too, friend!

Comments