Decorating

Isn't Christmas decorating a funny thing?  Some of us start before Thanksgiving, some are adamant about doing it after turkey day.  Some of us have huge boxes of stuff, some of us have two.  Some folks decorate every inch, some folks keep it to the main living area.  Some people like it to be the same every year, some people like to mix things up.  I guess I fall somewhere in the middle...absolutely after Thanksgiving, but after that, it's all up in the air.  Last year it looks like I pretty much had it all together on December 3.  This year is a bit slower.  Today's the 12th and the tree just went up!  I am OK with that though...still gives us 13 days to enjoy its pretty lights!

I think the funny thing about Christmas is how much we look outside of ourselves for validation about if we're doing it "right" or not.  Culture seems to have a lot to say about when and how to decorate, what traditions to start, keep, and jettison for your family, what gifts you should buy and for whom...and the list goes on.  Then there's the whole "keep the Christ in Christmas" movement as well.  At the end of the day I think we (me) so often feel like we're not doing all that we "should" be doing and we make ourselves feel bad about it.  Fake tree...are you serious??  No snowman garland...how can it be Christmas?  You don't like to frost a gazillion cookies...what kind of mother are you?  All of that is garbage!  We had a truly wonderful Christmas last year and I know this year will be no less wonderful...but it will be different.  Not better, not worse, but different.  I am not falling into the trap of trying to top last year's gift for so-and-so or making even more cookies than last year or any of that junk.  I am enjoying this season.  One day at a time.  If that means some things don't get done, so be it!  If it means that something I want to do gets set aside by something someone else wants to do, that's OK.  It's a Burger King Christmas...have it YOUR way! ;-)

With that I will leave you with a few pictures from last night.  Last night where I served my kids the awesome menu of hot dogs, toast and applesauce for dinner so that we would have time to keep up this Korbe tradition of making arrangements of greens.  Scott's mom sent up the stuff, so we made some pretty arrangements and the girls chose to give them to some of the teachers at school...it was very fun and very sweet!

Comments

  1. Gdma is so proud of the girls. Keeping up the tradion of making things with xmas greens. Good job girls. :-0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment