A Trip to Juneau





Goodness!  I don't know that I have talked much about this new journey much here on the blog.  Generally I stick to family stuff here, but my new venture is very much about my family and I, so today I'll tell you a little bit about it.

Back in July, right before we took our trip down to Washington and Oregon I filled out a piece of paper that has changed my life.  I filled out the application to put my name on the ballot for my local school board.  I was running against a long time board member, but against the odds I won and was sworn in at the beginning of November.  By joining our school board I also got involved in our state association, the Alaska Association of School Boards, or AASB.  AASB provides training for local school boards, leadership training for kids, and advocates for kids across the state.  I have attended several of their events and been impressed every time!

This past week I had the opportunity to represent our school district in Juneau meeting with our state's legislators and talking with them about the great things happening in our schools and school funding.  It was such a fulfilling experience!  I learned a great deal about school funding, government, things happening in other school districts; I could go on and on!

I was hesitant to accept the invitation to go, but I am so glad I did!  I really felt like what we were doing was making a difference for kids and that our message was being heard.  I took a *huge* step out of my comfort zone and felt good about doing it.

It was an incredibly busy four days, but I was able to get away from the hotel (the historic Baranof Hotel) in the daylight and take some pictures around the downtown area.  My legs appreciated the stretch, my brain was grateful for the fresh air, and all of me was glad to see a little bit of the town!  Here are a few of my favorites for you!

statue across the street from the capital
downtown

clock on the corner
back door of a book store

Comments