This Week's Recipe--Whole Wheat Crackers

When Scott's sister visited in May, she brought us a copy of Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for MORE Food. It's all about baking. And in the interest of accuracy (or so he says!) the recipes are all weights. So for my birthday my mama got me a digital kitchen scale. Of course I was itchin' to try it out, so I flipped through the book and found the recipe for Whole Wheat Crackers. I've tried crackers before with mixed success...some have flopped and others have become favorites.

The Recipe
Sheesh! I couldn't find this recipe anywhere online, so I had to type it up myself...goodness! That's why there's no mouth watering picture, either...sorry!

5oz (1 c.) whole wheat flour
4.75 oz (1 c.) all purpose flour
1.75 oz (1/3 c.) sugar
4T unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
melted butter for brushing the tops of the crackers, kosher salt to sprinkle on crackers

Preheat oven to 325.

Sift all dry ingredients together. Grate butter into the dry ingredients. Allow butter to sit for a few minutes, then rub into the flour until about half of the butter disappears.

Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Quickly mix together.

Turn onto a well-floured surface and roll 1/16 inch thick (He recommends using rolling pin bands of differing thicknesses. I happened to have some so I used them...next time I'll roll it in smaller batches as I still had difficulty getting the thickness right.). Cut into squares and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes, cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.

Andrea's Kitchen
I pretty much followed the directions above!

The Verdict
I like them! Some of the thinner ones were crispier, so I'll work to roll them thinner next time. Kelsey loves them, too. Stacy refuses to try them. But she did willingly try oysters last night...go figure!

There's also a recipe in this book titled A Superior Saltine. Not sure if I'm going to try that one or not...

Comments