This Week's Recipe--Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

image from foodnetwork.com

Mmmmm! Doesn't that look good?!!!

This week's recipe comes to us courtesy of Sandra Lee over at the Food Network. I've watched her a few times, but this is the first recipe of hers that I've tried.

The Recipe; Adapted for Andrea's Kitchen

(my changes in green)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (I used plain)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions (I used 1T dried onion)
  • 1 teaspoon steak seasoning (recommended: Montreal) (I used Mrs. Dash)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup cognac (I used water)
  • 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms (I used a little can of canned mushrooms)
  • 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 (1.2-ounce) packet brown gravy mix
  • Cooked rice, for serving (I made mashed potatoes)

Directions

In a large bowl, combine beef, 1/4 can mushroom soup, bread crumbs, egg, onions, and steak seasoning. Mix thoroughly and shape into 4 oval patties.

Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown patties on both sides and transfer to a plate.

Add remaining butter and cognac (remove pan from heat when adding cognac.) Saute mushrooms for 7 to 8 minutes (I skipped this step--no need with canned mushrooms. I just added the 1/4c water with the beef stock). Add beef stock and whisk in gravy mix until smooth. Stir in remaining mushroom soup.

Return patties to skillet and spoon gravy over top. Cover pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked rice.


The Verdict

Mmmmm! I have never made Salisbury Steak before--I don't know if I've ever eaten it before either, but everyone liked this! Scott especially liked the gravy. It made plenty of gravy for the spuds...we even had leftover gravy.


If you're googling around for a Salisbury Steak recipe I'd be wary of any that called for onion soup mix AND cream of mushroom soup. There seemed to be many variations out there, many calling for both ingredients. That seems like it would be *very* salty to me!


Comments

  1. Kari says: Thanks! I needed a new recipe for tomorrow! I think I might try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy- will have to try. Only thing wrong is who serves rice with Salisbury steak? Just seems wrong to me (but I am not a big fan of rice so maybe it is just me).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment