People always ask me if we're liking life here in Whittier. Without hesitation my answer is always yes. Of course there are things I miss about Washington--being away from our family is the biggest drawback hands-down. The following list however, highlights the things I love about Whittier, AK.
- Family time--Our family has never spent so much time together! The girls get to see Scott morning, noon, and night. He's a part of their lives in a way that he never was able to be when he was working 60+ hours per week and commuting. I also enjoy more time with my hubby!
- Being able to stay home with the girls--it's always been a priority for me and I am blessed to be able to live my dream again.
- My friends here--I have made some GREAT friends since moving here! It's a very small community, so having a group of like-minded gals to hang out with from time to time is really fun. It's also nice to have someone to trade kiddo care with.
- Scenery--seriously! Have you seen the pictures?? I grew up in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge and the beauty there literally brings me to tears, but Alaska is beautiful on a much larger scale. It's like looking out my window at a landscape calendar--every day!
- Living in town--it's fun to be able to walk every where in town. Heck--Whittier is small enough that even my 2 year old can walk everywhere! My kids now ride in the car so infrequently that it's a treat!
- A smaller living space--although it's been a big adjustment, there are some really great things about a smaller space. Mainly the limits of toys--we have just the right number that we can clean them all up in a reasonable amount of time. It was also freeing to go through and get rid of so much stuff when we moved.
- Snow--I'm not tired of it yet!
- Salmon Spread at the Lazy Otter--I'm now addicted to this delicious combination of smoked salmon, green onions and cream cheese on my bagels. I'll never be the same!