Recipe Thursday

The Idea
One of the things I really like to do is to try new recipes. Scott is always willing to try new things. The girls, well they're not so excited but so far they play along. Since we're frequent guinea pigs, I thought I'd share our experiences here in a (hopefully!) regular feature here on Thursdays.

The Recipe
This week's new recipe was Creamy Tomato Soup from the current issue of Simple and Delicious.

Ingredients
1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1.5 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
dash hot pepper sauce
croutons, shredded cheddar cheese, quartered grape tomatoes and/or thinly sliced
green onions

Directions
In large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with croutons, cheese, tomatoes and/or onions. Yield: 4 servings

Andrea's Kitchen
One of the things I'm picky about is ingredients. I have a basic pantry and I like new recipes to not require me to buy a bunch of special stuff. It's cheaper and easier for me. With that in mind I used plain old black pepper in this recipe and I substituted 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup melted butter (I Googled it!) for the heavy cream.

The Verdict
Well *I* really liked it! Despite me letting the girls sprinkle grated cheese on it (one of my secret Mommy mealtime weapons!) they didn't eat it. Scott was gone for lunch on the day we tried it, but I gave him a spoonful and he appeared to not have deep feelings one way or the other. I'll make it again for myself for sure, although I might try a tad less brown sugar.

Comments